Thursday, September 07, 2006

MY MOTHER'S HOLLANDAISE RECIPE

There's a famous story in my family about the recipe my mother generously handed out, a recipe for home made Hollandaise sauce. Whenever she gave it to anyone, she would say "Any idiot can make this!"

I heard this story from my sister-in-law, who is no idiot, especially in the kitchen. Yet she never could get my Mom's recipe to work. And whenever she called my Mom to inquire about what she might be doing wrong, the conversation would go something like this:

"Hi Mom. You know that Hollandaise sauce recipe you gave me?"

"Oh yes, the one any idiot can make?"

"Um... yes, that one."

"Well, what about it?"

"Well... I just wanted to thank you for it."

How can you ask for help without admitting that you're worse than an idiot?

That's the way I'm feeling today about creating this blog. No matter how user-friendly the software is purported to be, it is not friendly to me. I have spent hours today trying to figure out how to create a posting that looks the way I want it to, paste in photos, create links, etc. Finally in the very fine print somewhere, I saw that much of what is available here isn't supported by Safari, which is my browser. (Or maybe it's the other way around...) Anyway, why don't they tell you that right up front?

So I started all over again with Firefox, and am now slogging my way thorough unfamiliar blogging software with unfamiliar browser software. I feel like a kindergartener who somehow landed in a fifth-grade class in Tokyo without having learned to read yet, and knowing not a word of Japanese.

My blogging sisters (PeaceBang and Miss Kitty) have assured me that I will figure it out eventually. I hope they are right. I hope I figure it out before I throw the computer through the window and put out a contract on whoever wrote the instructions.

(But you see, I have figured outhow to do bold!)

Stay tuned. And I might pull this post if it ends up sounding too whiny.

I promise more interesting posts later, when my hair grows back in.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home