Saturday, August 26, 2006

FIRST, A PLEA

If someone who reads this knows more about blogging than I do (that would be probably most people on the planet), please get in touch with me if you're willing to help me learn. I just wrote a long post and lost it in Preview mode. Dang! I need to learn about formatting, adding photos, etc. as well as not losing my deathless prose.

And now back to our previously written entry... again.

WHY I HATE GOING TO THE GYM (and what I'm doing about it)

I hate going to the gym (Curves). Not because of that sleaze-bag Gary Hevin who owns the company and is anti-choice. I've taken care of that. When I learned that some portion of my monthly fee was going to support clinic protestors and people who tell lies to frightened pregnant girls, I did some soul-searching and decided I needed to stay strong and healthy for the cause. So I figured out how much of my $29 per month was going to the company (about fifty cents, or $6 per year), and committed to give much more than that to a pro-choice organization that I wasn't already supporting. (I thnk I must own Planned Parenthood by now.) I chose the Religious Coalition for Reproductive Choice and got a brief essay published in one of their booklets, and was inspired to do a Fathers Day sermon on men's role in the pro-choice movement. Also, I wear my pro-choice T-shirt to work out whenever possible. Take that, Gary Hevin!

No, I hate to work out because it's such an interruption in my always-busy day. It takes about 45 minutes for the workout and stretching, 10 to walk back and forth from home, and at least 15 to shower and dress afterwards. I also hate it because I get really sweaty. And because they play terrible music and stupid games there. I have a reputation among the staff for being a killjoy die-hard because I refuse to play their stupid games; I just want to finish my workout and get out of there!

On the other hand, it's close to home, cheap and convenient, and when I work out regularly my cholesterol level goes through the floor. Plus (here's the best part) my husband told me today that when we went kayaking in Maine a few weeks ago, I kicked his butt. He had a terrible time keeping up with me, and I was just cruising along enjoying the peace and quiet. How's that for an incentive? (He's younger than I am, too.)

Here's what I'm doing about hating to go to the gym. I read this suggestion in today's paper: dedicate your workout to something that's important to you, like world peace or someone you love. (I won't do it for myself, but I'll do it for world peace.) I dedicated today's workout to the grandchild that I hope will some day join our family (still just a gleam in my eye), because when that child gets here, I want to be around for a long time! If getting sweaty and enduring stupid music for an hour will help, then so be it.

Two other saving graces: one is Sundays. Sunday is a day of (relative) rest for most people. For me it's a major work day. But at least the gym is closed. The other is a digital camera I read about today which has a slimming feature guaranteed to make you look ten pounds lighter. Now if they only made one that would keep my cholesterol down.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm the butt that got kicked. Sorta. That is, I was able to keep up, even if I -- shall I say -- was eager for respite. And B's Mom didn't even realize I was falling behind until I -- ahem -- let the cat out of the bag a couple of weeks later. Those workouts have paid off.

2:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a fan of working out and gyms, but still appreciate how tough it can be to get there and just get it done. Brava to you for the practice of dedicating your work out to something that matters. I'll have to use that when I teach a class this week....

Nice blog. I'll have to mark it.

from your colleague

11:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found the way to love to work out is to get a trainer. It doesn't get any better than that. As I sit here typing, I am so sore I can barely move yet I'm overjoyed that it's only 22 more hours until I get to work out again. Yes, 'get to'. I've turned into a freak. I'd do it every day if A) I could afford to and B) I need the 48 hrs of recovery. LOL! Time to walk the dogs. :-)

11:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home